Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Funny story...

Warning...really long post...to help us remember! Feel free to skim.

My mom came in on Monday night last week to be here when Wilson was born. Thinking that things would go similarly to Whitney's birth, we hoped she would have about a week with the new baby...Well, I went to the doctor on Monday and I was dilated 2-3cm so I made another appointment for Wednesday. When I went in on Wednesday there had been no change since Monday. Frustration! I was in tears on the way home. It really didn't seem like anything was happening, since I wasn't even having contractions. I had a few that afternoon, but we made a reservation for my mom to fly home and planned on her going to work for a couple of days then coming back.

So we loaded up and started driving to Billings. About 20 minutes into the drive, I started having contractions more regularly. They continued the whole way coming about 5 minutes apart. We drove all the way to the airport and decided to get out and see if they continued. They did. Mom decided she was going back with us because it seemed like something was finally happening. I called the hospital to see what they recommend for coming in and they said I could go ahead and come in. Then they asked if I was in Lovell and just about died when I said I was in Billings. I think they were really worried I was going to have him on the road. I wasn't in any pain, just a little uncomfortable, so I wasn't worried. We made it home, got our bags, dropped off Whitney and headed to the hospital. We checked in around 9:40, got all hooked up to the machines and got checked, of course, there was still no change. They said we could either try walking around for an hour and check again or go home. We opted to go home and try to get some sleep.

I woke up around 5:30 on Thursday morning having painful contractions, which led to my water breaking around 7:00. I knew it was time to go to the hospital. So after showering, we loaded up and headed off once again. We got to the hospital just after 8. I was dilated to a 5! I breathed my way through many contractions, finally got the epidural at 9:30ish. I was still having a shooting pain in my left side, so I got a booster for the epidural just before 11 I think. Around 11:10?I told my mom I was feeling kind of lightheaded like my blood sugar was low and wondered if I could have some 7up or something. The nurse said that feeling sometimes means things are happening, so she checked me and said I was complete! I think we were all surprised. They wheeled the cart of supplies in at 11:18 and the nurse told the other nurse we would have this baby by 11:20, to which the other said, she meant noon. The doctor came in. He had me try pushing a little, told me to stop so he could get his gloves on. Then I pushed a couple more times and he was out within a couple of minutes. 11:24!

I was amazed at how well this delivery went. I pushed for 2 hours with Whitney, so this was great. I didn't feel anything because I had just barely had the booster for the epidural. My legs were numb most of the day, but I was up and moving that afternoon. I was pretty much determined to only stay one night at the hospital. My white blood cell count was up, so we had to wait a while on Friday, so I could have my blood drawn again. The count had gone down, we were free! The same thing happened with Whitney, but I had to have an IV of antibiotics before we could leave. We checked out around 2:30 Friday!

It is so nice to be at home. Unfortunately my mom had to go home on Sunday :( Darn those jobs...We've just been relaxing and settling in. Whitney is doing amazingly well. She came to the hospital Thursday evening. She was a little unsure when she first got there. She sat with me on the bed and opened her little present. There were some treats in there which helped her to perk up. After a little while, she looked over and saw that Mike was holding Wilson and got the biggest smile on her face. She wanted down immediately and went right over and wanted to hold him. She likes to announce when he's crying, say "bless you" to him when he sneezes, shush him when he's crying, and give him kisses. She's been interested enough, but still likes to do her own thing. There hasn't been too much jealousy. It's wonderful.

I feel truly blessed to be a mom. I am so grateful for two healthy, beautiful children. Life is a miracle.

2 comments:

Jennifer Lomenick said...

That is great! I love hearing that your 2nd birth was better than the 1st. Too bad it didn't work out that your mom was able to stay longer. I can imagine it hard for her to leave and hard to say good-bye. Hopefully she will be able to come again real soon before he changes too much.

Katie said...

Wow what an easy delivery! Frustrating for you, I'm sure, that it took so long for something to happen- but wow- quick and pain free! That's awesome!