Saturday, April 4, 2009

Ward Easter Party





I made the Easter blocks on this table too--kind of hard to see, found them on http://3beekmanplaceapartment.blogspot.com/

Last Sunday I asked if there was any other cooking I could do to help for our ward Easter Party, because I missed the sign-up sheet, and the sister told me they could probably use some help cooking potatoes (we had baked potato bar for dinner). I said great! She said she'd call. So...on Monday she called and said her husband, who is the activities chairman, was wondering if I would do the decorations. I agreed, but she told me it was Easter, but not Easter Bunny Easter decorations. Okay...I started looking at blogs for ideas. I found an idea to mod podge scrapbook paper on plastic eggs. I tried a couple and that didn't work. Then later I thought about fabric and that worked great! Fortunately, I had my mom here for a few days to help! I really wanted the mini plastic eggs. That turned out to be a wild goose chase...They didn't have them in Lovell at the Red Apple, so we went to Powell--none at Pamida, Family Dollar or IGA. Bummer...I decided to call ahead to Wal-Mart before we drove all the way there and here's the conversation I had with the lady there:

Me: I'm just wondering if you have any of the mini plastic eggs.
Lady: Well, we have two sizes, but I don't know if we have any the size of a thimble.
Me: No, not that tiny. You know, they have the standard size like 3 inches and then there are the mini ones like 1.5-2 inches.
Lady: (hesitates--clearly she doesn't know what I'm talking about) Well, we have some like the size of young chicken eggs or like a banty hen egg.
Me: Okay...thanks (now I'm the one who doesn't understand...only in Wyoming)

So...We drive over to Cody...no mini eggs at Walmart, Albertsons, or KMart. Needless to say I ended up using the standard, banty hen sized eggs. Once we had the eggs, the work began--we had to make 75 eggs! Mom helped me get to 51, so I didn't have too many to finish on my own. Mike cut the branches and I attempted to spray paint them until after 20 minutes I had only 9 or 40 branches painted (badly) and my finger felt like it was going to fall off; Mike came home and painted them with the paint sprayer!!! I never felt stressed about it which was a first for me! I was actually really happy with the way the decorations came out and I got lots of compliments. The potatoes were yummy and we had a great night! Thank goodness it's over.

No comments: